The job of a freelancer, irrespective of the field of work, is not at all easy. There are some specific traits that you need to possess as well as a few good habits that you need to develop to make a mark as a successful freelancer in your specific field.
The first important thing that you should possess in you is the passion to write on any given topic. This must be ingrained in you and you must master it with practice over the days, weeks and years.
- The good thing about writing every day is that it will inspire you. Therefore, make it a point that you spend about the same amount of time every day to write, and write, and write.
- Another good thing about writing every day is that it will inculcate a habit of writing in you, and as you may know habits influence the actions and behaviours.
Therefore, if you build positive work habits in you, as a freelancer it will give you more freedom to perform your work without feeling it like your job that you need to be doing.
Habits will make you a perfect person in every aspect of your life. For example, if you have a good spending habit, you will be able to stay within your means and not have to take on too much of debt so much so that you spend most of the time of your day looking for best ways to manage your monthly bills on sites like DebtReviews. It is the same for an SEO freelancer job.
Road to success
If you are an SEO freelancer, your work habits will surely affect the bottom line and pave the path of your success. Being an SEO freelancer, your day will not be spent just on creating backlinks or curating content. On the contrary, you will not have a kick-ass schedule to follow as most of the SEO professionals have to. You will be your own boss and have enough time and freedom to daytime TV as well!
In a time where outsourcing is the big thing, being an SEO freelancer can surely be a career to look for. There is no better time or thing to do to make your own rules for your 9-to-5 work routine.
However, you will have to learn new habits to make it big in freelance SEO. These habits will typically go way beyond the basics of performing SEO such as keyword research and managing client meetings.
Importance to hire a good SEO freelancer
There are different surveys and researches conducted that reflects different facts and figures related to online marketing and search engines.
- According to research, it is found that Google gets over 100 billion searches worldwide in a month.
- According to another Online Marketing Trends survey conducted by HubSpot it was found that approximately67% of all small to medium businesses cited SEO as the most in-demand marketing service.
- It is also found in a different survey report that Google releases a new algorithm every year, or every month to be more precise.
- A report of Harvard Business Review it is seen that an increase in customer retention by only 5% will help a business to make overall profits by 25%.
- A survey has also found that search is the number one driver of traffic to any content site as compared to social media beating it by more than 300%.
- More than 66% of all best-in-class companies involve search in their content creation process right from the beginning, another research says.
All these facts and figures indicate one specific thing: the need of an SEO manager today is immense to make sure the sites reach to the right audience and that too to a large number of it.
The skills required
The field of SEO has incredible growth potential s it is seen over the past couple of years. As per the report of Conductor, there is double-digit growth in the salaries of SEO professionals in the top US cities. There is a lot of job opportunities both for in-house SEO Managers as well as the SEO freelancers. However, it is important that you evolve your skill keeping the changing role of SEO in mind. This will help you to maintain a high status as an SEO freelancer. The specific set of skills that you need to possess is:
- Building and managing an editorial calendar to attract a specific audience
- Growing new leads with carefully designed landing pages and by creating lead-generating content
- Managing technical on-page SEO collaboration with the developers
- Creating easy goals for click-through rates, traffic, and conversions
- Connecting with influential bloggers, users, and journalists to build brand awareness
- Running different tests and experiments to optimize the website and much more.
These skills will surely help you to get ahead in your field but in reality, in SEO there is no specific way in which you can be taught the ABCs of it. It is you who will have to learn more continually and develop your skillset. This will enable you to work out the and through the real-life website problems.
The habits to develop
The specific habits that you need to grow to become a more efficient SEO freelancer include:
- Dress properly while at work. This may sound like a silly habit that you need to develop but researchers say that if you wear formal clothing while working will improve intellectual cognitive processing.
- Stalk data every day before you shut off your computer for the day. Login into Google Analytics for each of your clients and then take note of any specific events that may have happened during the day. This will keep you updated with the day-by-day marketing events.
- Audit weekly and share the reports every month with your clients. This will help you to know the overall health status of the website.
Also, look beyond your obvious competitors and keep an open mind. Know your worth and work accordingly to be a champion freelancer SEO over the years.
Walter Moore is a notable management consultant and digital marketing expert. He is an experienced digital marketer and has helped e-commerce businesses in all niches gain with his effective marketing strategies and guidance.