Each and every year, the holiday season brings in big money for businesses. The question is: just how big of an impact do the holidays have on businesses across the US?
To answer that question, we need to take a closer look at the facts.
The data behind holiday online shopping
- Online sales during the 2017 holiday season amounted to $108.2 billion, an increase of 14.7% from the previous year.
- Consumers who purchase products they see on email offers are likely to spend 138% more than people who don’t receive email offers.
- 20% of online holiday site visits came from emails.
What to know about holiday email activity
- 116.5 million emails were sent on Black Friday.
- Black Friday emails saw the highest number of emails opened and clicked.
- 95 million emails were sent on Thanksgiving.
- Thanksgiving emails saw the the second highest number of emails opened and clicked.
This data makes two things clear: 1) Making purchases online has become an increasingly popular way to shop during the holiday season, and 2) Customers are more inclined to engage with email offers and promotions during the holidays.
The holiday season is over, but that doesn’t mean these statistics are no longer useful. You can use this information to predict your numbers for the 2019 holiday season and plan your email marketing strategy accordingly.
Want a detailed rundown of all the pertinent figures for last year’s holiday season? Then check out this infographic.