The saying “An image is worth a thousand words” is especially relevant in social networks. A good photograph can be decisive so that, with a simple glance, the user who reaches your profile continues browsing and is interested in your brand, the content you generate and the products and/or services you show or that, by the On the contrary, their interest in you ends there. Therefore, you can not ignore the size of the images on social networks in 2020 , which will be displayed.
Properly displaying images on social media can boost your digital marketing strategy. So if you don’t know what size to use, don’t panic. In this post, we are going to specify the measures that each of the creatives that Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin and WhatsApp must allow you to have.
A correct unification of your images in social networks will generate confidence in your clients. It is convenient that you upload the same image on your Facebook, Instagram and Twitter profile. Of course, each one adapted to its size!
- Image size on Facebook
- Image size for Twitter
- Photo size for Instagram
- Image sizes for Pinterest
- Image size on LinkedIn
- Image sizes on YouTube
- Size for WhatsApp images
Image size on Facebook
Among the most used 2020 social networks, and which we are going to talk about, Facebook occupies an important position. As of today, it has more than 2 million users, making it a very important social network for any business.
Measurements for images of your Fan Page in the desktop version
- Profile image: 180 x 180 px, although it will be displayed with a resolution of 170 × 170px on computers.
- Cover: displayed in 820 x 312 px. Your image will load faster if its size is 851 x 315 px, it is in JPG format and it weighs less than 100 KB. Although, if you are going to show logos and/or text, it is recommended to upload an image in PNG format. It will offer better quality.
- Facebook cover videos: Your video must be at least 820 x 312 px and last between 20 and 90 seconds. For a better result, Facebook recommends that the measurement be 820 × 462 px.
- Square image in posts: 1200 x 1200 px
- Horizontal image in posts: 1200 x 630 px
- Shared Link Image: 1200 x 630 px
- Image for Facebook stores : 1024 x 1024 px
- Image for Facebook Stories : 1080 x 1920 px
Measurements for images in the mobile version of your Fan Page
- Profile image: Facebook recommends an image size of 128 × 128 px. Although in most mobiles it will be shown in 36 × 36 px.
- Cover: 640 x 360 px. You can also leave a 134 px column on each side and upload a centered image with measurements of 560 x 315 px.
- Facebook cover videos : 320 x 312 px
- Image posts : 1200 x 1200 px
- Posts with links : 1200 x 630 px
Measures for sponsored publications
As you may already know, placing ads on Facebook is not the same as promoting a publication, so each of these actions has a different size.
- Sponsored publication in computer version: 470 x 470 px
- Mobile sponsored post: 626 x 840 px
- Side column: 254 x 133 px
Measures for Facebook Ads
- Standard Facebook Ads: 1200 x 628 px for horizontal image. It is recommended to be 1080 x 1080 px, for a 1: 1 aspect ratio.
- Facebook Ads in Side Column: Facebook recommends size 1200 x 1200 px.
- Ads on Facebook Stories : 1080 x 1920 px
- Announcement in sequence or carrousel : 1080 x 1080 px
- Ads in collection mode : 1200 x 628 px
- Facebook Marketplace : 1200 x 1200 px.
You should bear in mind that these are the minimum recommended measures and that Facebook will resize the images according to the device on which they are displayed.
Don’t forget that Facebook considers ads with images with more than 20% text to be of low quality. So, if you exceed that percentage, your ad will not reach the maximum audience.
Image size for Twitter
We hope that at this stage of the post you already know the importance of the images and their sizes.
- Profile photo: 400 x 400 px, although it could also be 200 x 200 px. Remember that the maximum weight for profile photos that Twitter supports is 2 MB.
- Header: Although the recommended measurements for the header images are 1500 x 500 px. You can also use a 1024 x 280 px one. The maximum weight cannot exceed 5 MB.
- Image for a tweet: the recommended size is 1024 x 512 px. Although in the timeline it is seen at 440 x 200 px. It should never be less than 600 x 335 px. Remember that in addition to photos in PNG and JPG, Twitter allows you to post tweets with GIFs. But you must take into account the maximum weight it supports: 5 MB for photos, 5 MB for GIFs on mobile and 15 MB on the web.
The maximum number of images per tweet is four. If you upload two photos, Twitter will show them next to each other. With three images, one will be shown on the left and the other two on the right, one on top of the other. In the event that you publish four photos, they will appear as a grid, in a mobile version. If viewed on a computer, there will be one large square image on the left and three smaller images on the right.
- Twitter cards dimension: the correct size is 800 x 418 px. If you are going to display a square image, it should have a size of 800 x 800 px.
These carry the following sizes:
- Tweet with image and link: 600 × 335 px. Twitter recommends that the image be at least 600 px wide. Although if you upload a larger image it will optimize it. And if a user clicks on it, it will expand the image. If the height exceeds the width, Twitter will trim it to a 16: 9 ratio.
- Tweet Card: The image display that accompanies a link you share will show your photo in a small size. Therefore, remember that Twitter gives you the option to display your image as part of a Twitter Card. The size must be 800 x 800 px, for square size, and 800 x 418 px, to show a horizontal image.
Multi-image ad : 1200 x 670 px.
Photo size for Instagram
Instagram is the king of photography, so visual content carries the most weight. So, if you want to take advantage of your business with Instagram, follow the instructions below.
- Profile image: 110 x 110 px.
- Photo of the feed: the square image is the most used and the recommended size is 1080 x 1080 px, although in the feed they will appear in size 510 x 510 px.
- Horizontal photo: 1080 x 566 px, but it will look 600 x 400 px .
- Vertical photo: 1080 x 1350 px. It will display in 600 x 749 px.
- Instagram Stories: Although it will be displayed in 750 x 1334 px, the optimal measurement is 1080 x 1920 px. This size is also used for highlights.
If you decide to carry out an Ads campaign on Instagram, the sizes of your images will not vary from those discussed above.
- Square photo ad : 1080 x 1080 px.
- Horizontal photo ad : 1080 x 566 px.
- Vertical photo ad : 1080 x 1350 px.
- Announcement on Instagram Stories : 1080 x 1920 px.
Image sizes for Pinterest
In such a visual social network Pinterest you cannot disregard the appearance of your images and how users view them. So it is very important that they are in the right sizes.
- Profile image: 165 x 165 px.
- Pin measurements: Please note that Pinterest recommends using vertical images to display products. Your image should have a 2: 3 aspect ratio. For example, 1000 x 1500 px. The minimum optimal size should be 600 x 900 px.
- Board image: 222 x 150 px
- Image of a Story Pin: Story Pins are one of the new features of social networks 2020. Although they are not yet available to all users, take note! According to Pinterest, the Story Pins will have a cover image and a title. Users will see them in their Pinterest home feed and can tap the cover image to open the Story Pin.
The minimum size is 900 x 1600 px.
Formats you can use BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, WEBP, .mov. and .mp4.
Maximum file size: 16 MB.
Image size on LinkedIn
Linkedin is a professional social network that gives less prominence to visual content but an image will still distinguish you fro, the herd!
If your profile picture on Linkedin is blurred, do you think a company or a recruiter will contact you? The image you project is also your cover letter. Take note of the optimal measurements:
- Profile image: 400 x 400 px.
- Personal cover image: 1584 x 396 px.
- Company logo: 300 x 300 px.
- Cover image for company pages: 1536 x 768 px.
- Image of a post: 520 x 320 px.
- Post image with link: 520 x 272 px.
Currently, advertising on Linkedin is not widely used although little by little, company profiles are encouraged to add it to their marketing strategy. The most optimal sizes would be the following:
- Image advertisement : 1200 x 627 px.
- Ad with image and link: 520 x 272 px.
Image sizes on YouTube
Taking care of YouTube images is essential to attract the user’s attention. The thumbnails of your videos are almost as important as the title of your video for clicks and views.
This social network is usually used on different devices such as mobile, tablets or TV. So your videos and images must be optimized.
- Channel photo or avatar: 800 x 800 px. It will be displayed in 98 x 98 px.
- Channel header image: The size recommended by YouTube, for optimal resolution, is 2560 x 1440 px. The minimum dimension you should upload is 2048 × 1152 px.
The appearance of your channel design may vary from one device to another. It is important to note how it will be displayed depending on one device or another. In addition, there is a minimum secure area, which will be visible on all devices and which ensures that the text and logo of your header will be seen. This is 1546 x 423 px.
How will your header be displayed depending on the device from which it is accessed? On TV the resolution will be 2560 x 1440 px. Your image will be displayed completely in the background. On a 1546 x 423 px mobile phone , on an 1855 x 423 px tablet and on a 2560 x 423 px monitor .
- Thumbnail size: 1280 x 720 px. The minimum width is 640 px and a weight limit of 2 MB.
- Videos : 1200 x 720 px.
Ads on the most powerful video platform out there today are a strong point. If you want to promote a new service, do not hesitate to do so here. The sizes that you should use are:
- Ad within the video: This is the semi-transparent ad that appears overlaid at the bottom of the video. The size is 480 x 70 px.
- Ad outside the video (right column) : can be 300 x 250 px or 300 x 60 px.
Size for WhatsApp images
WhatsApp is a new business opportunity for small and medium-sized companies to maintain contact, as well as to manage requests and inquiries from users. As with other social networks, keeping the profile updated is one of the keys.
- Profile image : 40 x 140 px / 192 x 192 px. It may vary depending on the device.
WhatsApp status : 1080 x 1920 px.
Also published on Medium.